Police officer, bystander killed in shootout in Houston shootout
December 24, 2012 (HOUSTON) -- A Bellaire police officer and bystander are both dead following a chase and shooting in southwest Houston Monday morning.
According to investigators, it started as the Bellaire officer was trying to pull over the driver of a black vehicle. That driver fled, hitting a white pickup truck. Both the officer and the driver of the white truck started to chase after the driver of the black vehicle.
That's when the driver of the black vehicle reportedly pulled into the parking lot of a Maaco at Bellaire at Chetwood. Witnesses say the officer got out of his vehicle, approached the suspect's vehicle and ordered him to get out.
Instead that suspect reportedly reached for a weapon and began shooting at the officer and then turned and fired towards the bystanders. Witnesses say about 10 shots in all were fired.
A bystander outside the business was fatally shot in the gunfire. The officer was hit and taken to Ben Taub Hospital, where police say he died.
Witnesses say after the shooting, the suspect got out and ran down the street to another business, where he was found hiding between vehicles. That suspect was reportedly also shot and taken to the Southwest Memorial Hermann Hospital hospital in critical condition.
The Bellaire officer's family is at Ben Taub. His name hasn't yet been released, but we've learned he had been with the department for more than 20 years. The identity of the bystander also hasn't been released.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home