Police officer, bystander killed in shootout in Houston shootout
December 24, 2012 (HOUSTON) -- A Bellaire police officer and bystander are both dead following a chase and shooting in southwest Houston Monday morning.
According to investigators, it started as the Bellaire officer was trying to pull over the driver of a black vehicle. That driver fled, hitting a white pickup truck. Both the officer and the driver of the white truck started to chase after the driver of the black vehicle.
That's when the driver of the black vehicle reportedly pulled into the parking lot of a Maaco at Bellaire at Chetwood. Witnesses say the officer got out of his vehicle, approached the suspect's vehicle and ordered him to get out.
Instead that suspect reportedly reached for a weapon and began shooting at the officer and then turned and fired towards the bystanders. Witnesses say about 10 shots in all were fired.
A bystander outside the business was fatally shot in the gunfire. The officer was hit and taken to Ben Taub Hospital, where police say he died.
Witnesses say after the shooting, the suspect got out and ran down the street to another business, where he was found hiding between vehicles. That suspect was reportedly also shot and taken to the Southwest Memorial Hermann Hospital hospital in critical condition.
The Bellaire officer's family is at Ben Taub. His name hasn't yet been released, but we've learned he had been with the department for more than 20 years. The identity of the bystander also hasn't been released.
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913