Flight diverted to Houston when woman dies onboard plane
January 3, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- An airplane passenger was dead upon arrival to Bush Intercontinental Airport Wednesday morning.
A spokesperson with the Houston Police Department confirms that a 25-year-old Brazilian woman died during a flight from Sao Paulo, and her death is now under investigation.
American Airlines Flight 962 left Sao Paulo, Brazil, at 1:15 a.m. local time, bound for Dallas. The flight arrived at about 6:20 a.m. to Houston's IAH airport gate D7 in the international terminal.
The plane was diverted to Houston due to an ill passenger, according to an airline spokesperson. The woman died before the flight arrived in Houston.
American Airlines did not share any details about the nature of the woman's illness. Police say the woman went into medical distress about eight hours into the flight. Members of the flight crew, aided by a physican who happened to be on board, performed emergency medical procedures.
The medical examiner's office took custody of the woman's body. She was taken to the morgue where an autopsy will be performed to determine her cause of death. The woman's name has not been released.
HPD investigators interviewed other passengers, and at about 9:25 a.m. the plane continued on to Dallas. The Boeing 777 carried 220 passengers and 14 crew members.
There were no apparent signs of trauma nor any indication of foul play.
national/world, katie mccall
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs 1 min ago
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway due to weather 19 min ago
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in trunk of car in West Englewood 44 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school closures? 42 min ago
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open 5 min ago
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Free movies at Millennium Park this summer
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security 34 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school...
42 min ago
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
1 min ago
- Kellie Pickler, Derek Hough win 'DWTS;'...
41 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos