SoCal school shooter targeted 2 students, police say
January 10, 2013 (TAFT, Calif.) -- Authorities say a 16-year-old student walked onto the campus of Taft High School in Kern County on Thursday intending to shoot two students.
The suspect had not showed up for school, and then halfway through his first class on the second floor of the science building, he showed up armed with a shotgun at about 9 a.m. Police say he shot a 16-year-old student, who remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition.
The suspect then tried to shoot another student but missed. According to Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood, he had numerous rounds in his pocket.
The teacher in the room, who was trying to evacuate the classroom of about two dozen students, began engaging the suspect in conversation. The sheriff said at one point, the shooter told the teacher, "I don't want to shoot you" and named the person he wanted to shoot. A campus supervisor also joined the conversation, and they were able to get the young man to put the shotgun down.
Police arrived and took the suspect into custody by 9:20 a.m. Police officials say the teacher's action saved many of the students.
According to the Kern County Sheriff's Department, officials then went room by room to secure the school. There were reportedly people who were still hiding in closets at the school.
The shotgun was recovered at the scene, a Kern County sheriff's spokesman said.
Authorities say witnesses saw suspect walking onto campus with a shotgun and called 911, which helped with fast police response. Youngblood said there is usually a Taft police officer at the school every day, but on Thursday, he was snowed in, could not make it.
School officials say there will be no school on Friday, but counselors will be available for students, parents and staff. School will be back in session Monday.
Taft is about 120 miles north of Los Angeles.
- LSD reopens after suspicious package investigated 4 min ago
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- UIC faculty strike averted, tentative deal reached 46 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos