Manti Te'o, Katie Couric interview: Pain, sorrow was real
January 24, 2013 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o said his pain and sorrow was real, even if his girlfriend was not.
- PHOTOS: Pictures of Manti Te'o
"It didn't sound like a man. It sounded, sounded like a woman. But if he somehow made that voice, that's incredible," Te'o said. "Doesn't it sound like a girl?"
"It does," Couric said.
Te'o's inspirational tale of triumph on the field after the deaths of his grandmother and girlfriend was exposed as a bizarre hoax on Jan. 16, 2013 when news broke that Kekua did not exist.
Te'o admitted to Couric he misled reporters into thinking he had met his long-distance girlfriend in person, which never actually happened. He said when they had planned to meet in San Diego during a flight layover, he was told she was in a car accident and hospitalized in Los Angeles.
"It doesn't make sense to me either at this point," he said.
When asked by Couric if he made up the relationship to cover up his sexual orientation, Te'o denied it.
"Are you gay?" Couric asked.
Te'o replied, "No. Far from it."
He said the relationship felt real to him- and his parents.
"He's not a liar. He's a kid. He's a 21 year old kid trying to be a man," Brian Te'o, father, said.
Kekua was allegedly created by the hoaxster Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
The Associated press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.(Copyright ©2014 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
national/world, eric horng
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 36 min ago
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings 39 min ago
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges 56 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 5 min ago
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run 55 min ago
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos