Manti Te'o, Katie Couric interview: Pain, sorrow was real
January 24, 2013 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o said his pain and sorrow was real, even if his girlfriend was not.
- PHOTOS: Pictures of Manti Te'o
"It didn't sound like a man. It sounded, sounded like a woman. But if he somehow made that voice, that's incredible," Te'o said. "Doesn't it sound like a girl?"
"It does," Couric said.
Te'o's inspirational tale of triumph on the field after the deaths of his grandmother and girlfriend was exposed as a bizarre hoax on Jan. 16, 2013 when news broke that Kekua did not exist.
Te'o admitted to Couric he misled reporters into thinking he had met his long-distance girlfriend in person, which never actually happened. He said when they had planned to meet in San Diego during a flight layover, he was told she was in a car accident and hospitalized in Los Angeles.
"It doesn't make sense to me either at this point," he said.
When asked by Couric if he made up the relationship to cover up his sexual orientation, Te'o denied it.
"Are you gay?" Couric asked.
Te'o replied, "No. Far from it."
He said the relationship felt real to him- and his parents.
"He's not a liar. He's a kid. He's a 21 year old kid trying to be a man," Brian Te'o, father, said.
Kekua was allegedly created by the hoaxster Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
The Associated press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.(Copyright ©2014 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
national/world, eric horng
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos