Manti Te'o, Katie Couric interview: Pain, sorrow was real
January 24, 2013 (NEW YORK) (WLS) -- Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o said his pain and sorrow was real, even if his girlfriend was not.
- PHOTOS: Pictures of Manti Te'o
"It didn't sound like a man. It sounded, sounded like a woman. But if he somehow made that voice, that's incredible," Te'o said. "Doesn't it sound like a girl?"
"It does," Couric said.
Te'o's inspirational tale of triumph on the field after the deaths of his grandmother and girlfriend was exposed as a bizarre hoax on Jan. 16, 2013 when news broke that Kekua did not exist.
Te'o admitted to Couric he misled reporters into thinking he had met his long-distance girlfriend in person, which never actually happened. He said when they had planned to meet in San Diego during a flight layover, he was told she was in a car accident and hospitalized in Los Angeles.
"It doesn't make sense to me either at this point," he said.
When asked by Couric if he made up the relationship to cover up his sexual orientation, Te'o denied it.
"Are you gay?" Couric asked.
Te'o replied, "No. Far from it."
He said the relationship felt real to him- and his parents.
"He's not a liar. He's a kid. He's a 21 year old kid trying to be a man," Brian Te'o, father, said.
Kekua was allegedly created by the hoaxster Ronaiah Tuiasosopo.
The Associated press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.(Copyright ©2013 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
national/world, eric horng
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour 21 min ago
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot