Doctor fatally shot at Southern California office
January 28, 2013 (NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.) -- Police found a doctor dead from multiple gunshot wounds Monday in an examination room of a Southern California medical office, and took a suspect into custody in the same room, authorities said.
Police received reports at about 2:45 p.m. of six or seven shots fired at the medical office near Hoag Hospital in Orange County, Newport Beach police spokeswoman Kathy Lowe said.
Officers responding found a man dead from multiple gunshot wounds to the upper torso in a patient examination room on the building's second floor, Lowe said. They took into custody another man in the room.
The victim was a doctor, Deputy Chief David McGill told the Los Angeles Times. The doctor's name and relationship to the gunman were not immediately clear.
The building includes physician's offices, outpatient services for the hospital and a treatment center for diabetes, but it was not clear which of these the shooting occurred in.
No one else was injured or targeted, Lowe said.
"It does appear to be an isolated incident," she said.
Detectives were interviewing employees and patients in the building.
The building and much of its parking lot were cordoned off with police tape and surrounded with many police vehicles several hours after the shooting.
- Spring-like temperatures to give way to snow 3 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court to consider Blagojevich transcripts 36 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 22 min ago
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap 41 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
22 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos