Encinitas shooting leads to standoff near San Diego
February 21, 2013 (ENCINITAS, Calif.) -- A suspect was barricaded inside a southern California home after deputies say he fired shots at them. Two deputies were injured in the shooting.
The San Diego County sheriff says one of them was shot in the leg. The other deputy was grazed in the head by a bullet fragment. Both are expected to be OK.
The deputies had been searching for a suspected car thief when they were fired upon late Wednesday afternoon. Police say the suspect barricaded himself inside a home and threatened to shoot anyone trying to enter. Neighbors were evacuated and surrounding roads were shut down.
Members of the sheriff's department SWAT team responded to the 700-block of Del Rio Avenue. According to a statement from the sheriff's department, deputies were seeking a suspected car thief. At about 3:30 p.m., shots were fired as deputies tried to approach the suspect.
During a news conference, San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore told reporters that one deputy suffered a wound to the forehead, describing it as a "glancing" injury from a fragment to his forehead. The other deputy was shot in the leg and was originally transported to Scripps Encinitas Hospital and then moved to Scripps La Jolla Hospital, where he underwent surgery. The deputy with the head wound was originally transported to Scripps La Jolla and has been treated. He was expected to be released later Wednesday evening.
Gore said both deputies are expected to make a full recovery. Their names have not been released.
Homes south of Del Rio Avenue were evacuated as a precaution. Road closures included Del Rio Avenue, west on Leucadia Boulevard and south of Saxony Road. A command post and staging area was set up at the Magdalena Ecke YMCA on Saxony Road.
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 6 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 6 min ago
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago 27 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting 25 min ago
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway 10 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman 40 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
6 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
6 min ago
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as...
40 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos