Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to attend Hugo Chavez funeral
March 7, 2013 (TEHRAN, Iran) -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has left for Caracas to attend the funeral of his Venezuelan ally Hugo Chavez.
Ahmadinejad is the head of an Iranian delegation that flew out of Tehran on Thursday.
The Iranian leader has praised Chavez, comparing him to a saint and saying he will return on resurrection day.
In his condolences on Wednesday, Ahmadinejad also said he has "no doubt Chavez will return to Earth together with Jesus and the perfect" Imam Mahdi, the most revered figure of Shiite Muslims, and that he'll help the two "establish peace, justice and kindness" in the world.
Ahmadinejad also says he believes something "suspicious" had caused Chavez's cancer.
The Iranian president had close ties with Chavez and the two leaders met frequently over the past years.
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado 1 min ago
- $19.6M settlement in priest sex abuse lawsuit
- Video: Wednesday @ 6AM: Saving on Gas?
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Wheel of Fortune will air at 2:05 a.m.
- Addison comfort dogs headed to Moore, Okla.
- Roseland Hospital to lay off 68
- Old Orchard Mall shooting 'not a random act'
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- 'Bishop bomber' sentenced to 37 years in prison
- Photos: Tornadoes hit Oklahoma, Kansas
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Photos: Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- How to help OK tornado victims
27 min ago
- Extreme bridal makeover
23 min ago
- Schaumburg couple survive Oklahoma tornado
1 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos