Grand jury to be convened for OH rape case
March 17, 2013 (STEUBENVILLE, Ohio) (WLS) -- Ohio attorney general Mike DeWine will be convening a grand jury to determine whether anyone else should be charged in the Steubenville rape case.
"A grand jury is an investigative tool that is uniquely suited to ensure fairness and to complete this investigation," DeWine said at a press conference today, according to ABC News.
17 year-old Trent Mays and 16 year-old Ma’lik Richmond were both found guilty today of sexually assaulting an intoxicated 16 year-old girl.
Both Mays and Richmond were sentenced to at least one year in juvenile detention, and may be held until they turn 21. Mays was also sentenced to an additional year for distributing nude images of a minor.
DeWine said that investigators have identified 43 people who attended at least one of the parties where the assaults took place. 27 of them have already been interviewed, but the remaining 16 refused to cooperate.
"A prosecutor's most important duty is to seek justice. I believe with these verdicts that justice has been done," DeWine said. "However, this is not a happy time for anyone. Every rape is a tragedy. This is a tragedy."
The defense teams for both convicted teenagers say that they plan to appeal the decision.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 52 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up 39 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat Bill Foster
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students
- Woodstock man accused in 8 rapes waives jury trial
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Bears agree to 1-year deal with Tillman
- Video: Time-Lapse Video: Snow Melt in Naperville
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation 34 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
52 min ago
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago...
40 min ago