$4M worth of pot found on Santa Barbara beach
March 19, 2013 (SANTA BARBARA, Calif.) -- Deputies found nearly 2,000 pounds of marijuana and a panga style fishing boat on Arroya Camada Beach in Santa Barbara Sunday.
The Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office was summoned to the area, located north of Refugio State Beach, to investigate a 30-foot panga style fishing boat. Suspected marijuana bales were also discovered strewn around the area.
Authorities found several hidden compartments onboard the abandoned boat and located a significant amount of evidence consistent with marijuana smuggling activities around the area. The panga style fishing boat had two outboard engines and more than 20 fuel containers on board.
Fifty plastic-wrapped bales of marijuana were found partially hidden within bushes adjacently located on the roadway leading to and from the beach. According to authorities, the contraband weighed approximately 2,000 pounds and has an estimated street value of $4 million.
Santa Barbara Sheriff's Narcotics detectives seized the marijuana and evidence left behind by the smugglers.
The evidence will undergo further examination as part of the ongoing investigation and will also be related to Homeland Security.
Sheriff's K9 unit searched the immediate area for any associated suspects to no avail.
Panga boats are often used to smuggle people, narcotics, and or other contraband from Mexico to California.
There were more than 20 drug smuggling boats intercepted last year off Santa Barbara County's coastline, according to investigators.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 20 min ago
- Ice to slicken roads before snow rolls in
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bensenville police shooting injures man
- Police: Drunk driver crashes into squard car
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
20 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos