$4M worth of pot found on Santa Barbara beach
March 19, 2013 (SANTA BARBARA, Calif.) -- Deputies found nearly 2,000 pounds of marijuana and a panga style fishing boat on Arroya Camada Beach in Santa Barbara Sunday.
The Santa Barbara Sheriff's Office was summoned to the area, located north of Refugio State Beach, to investigate a 30-foot panga style fishing boat. Suspected marijuana bales were also discovered strewn around the area.
Authorities found several hidden compartments onboard the abandoned boat and located a significant amount of evidence consistent with marijuana smuggling activities around the area. The panga style fishing boat had two outboard engines and more than 20 fuel containers on board.
Fifty plastic-wrapped bales of marijuana were found partially hidden within bushes adjacently located on the roadway leading to and from the beach. According to authorities, the contraband weighed approximately 2,000 pounds and has an estimated street value of $4 million.
Santa Barbara Sheriff's Narcotics detectives seized the marijuana and evidence left behind by the smugglers.
The evidence will undergo further examination as part of the ongoing investigation and will also be related to Homeland Security.
Sheriff's K9 unit searched the immediate area for any associated suspects to no avail.
Panga boats are often used to smuggle people, narcotics, and or other contraband from Mexico to California.
There were more than 20 drug smuggling boats intercepted last year off Santa Barbara County's coastline, according to investigators.
- Suspects break into Trump, parachute off building 30 min ago
- Boy, 13, seriously injured in Aurora hit-and-run 3 min ago
- A Game 7 with more on the line than an NBA title 26 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in OT, tie series
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school closes for good
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Boy, 13, seriously injured in Aurora...
3 min ago