Chris Dorner reward rescinded by City of Riverside, California
March 26, 2013 (RIVERSIDE, Calif.) -- Riverside is publicly rescinding its $100,000 reward offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Christopher Dorner.
- PHOTOS: Chris Dorner manhunt in pictures
But because of the wording "arrest and conviction," some of the entities are considering backing out of the money that was promised.
"Because the conditions were not met, there will not be a payment of a reward by the city," Riverside spokeswoman Cindie Perry said.
Dorner was wanted for killing Cal State Fullerton assistant basketball coach Monica Quan and her fiancé Keith Lawrence. Police say Dorner was also behind the shooting deaths of Riverside Police Officer Michael Crain and San Bernardino Detective Jeremiah MacKay.
Dorner was never arrested. He died of a self-inflicted wound in a burning cabin in Angelus Oaks while surrounded by law enforcement on Feb 12.
LAPD Police Chief Charlie Beck said Tuesday that he believes the city of Los Angeles will honor the reward.
"There's over 35 entities that were involved collectively in putting the reward together. Many of them have different rules, different abilities to pay and such, so we're working with those entities through robbery-homicide division, through the chief of detectives, in concert with the mayor's office, to make a determination about who is still eligible to pay the reward and who will get it," Beck said.
There have been two claims to the reward money: One is the couple near Big Bear whose car was stolen and were tied up by Dorner. They were able to untie themselves and call police. The second is a man whose pickup truck was taken by Dorner just before he ran into a cabin and was surrounded by police.
The LAPD says to deny someone the reward because Dorner died before he could be put on trial would be disingenuous and would also undermine future attempts by police to gain information by offering a reward.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 26 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 35 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 23 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods 40 min ago
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge 46 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon 36 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
35 min ago
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop...
26 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
23 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos