LA jail brawl sends 4 inmates to hospital
April 3, 2013 (LOS ANGELES) -- A fight erupted at Twin Towers Correctional Facility in downtown Los Angeles, sending four inmates to the hospital.
The brawl involving 62 inmates broke out at 12:10 p.m. Tuesday on the third floor of Tower One in a recreational area, according to L.A. County Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore.
"It took our deputies about 90 seconds to stop this dust-up. It was along racial lines, Hispanic and African-American. We do not know what prompted it," said Whitmore.
Whitmore said deputies used "sting-balls" and "clear-out" gas to end the altercation.
Four inmates were taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries. Other inmates were treated at Twin Towers, Whitmore said.
No deputies were injured.
There were more than 4,000 inmates in the jail Tuesday. The incident was considered relatively minor.
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 29 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 1 min ago
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 20 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
29 min ago