Sea lion dances to the beat at Long Marine Laboratory
April 4, 2013 (SANTA CRUZ, Calif.) (WLS) -- A sea lion bobs her head to the beat of her favorite tunes, which Earth Wind and Fire's ''Boogie Wonderland'' and the Backstreet Boys.
The sea lion, Ronan, lives at the Long Marine Laboratory in Santa Cruz, California. Researchers say they trained Ronan to nod her head in time with rhythmic sounds, and then she transferred the skills to music she hadn't heard before.
Born in the wild, 5-year-old Ronan was rescued when she was found stranded on a highway.
Her grooves defy earlier theory about the rhythmic ability of animals. And, aside from birds, a talent for mimicry was only seen in birds.
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports 34 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless 11 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in central Ill. 15 min ago
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time' 11 min ago
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport