Boston police: 3 more suspects in custody in marathon bombings
May 1, 2013 (BOSTON) (WLS) -- Three college friends of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were arrested and accused Wednesday of removing a backpack containing hollowed-out fireworks from Tsarnaev's dorm room three days after the attack to keep him from getting into trouble.
Late this afternoon a prisoner van deposited all three teenagers at a lock-up near downtown Boston. The three 19-year olds had been ordered held without bond on federal charges linked to the aftermath of the marathon finish line attack.
Two of the suspects are citizens of Kazakhstan. Robel Phillipos is an American citizen from Ethiopia.
According to U.S. investigators, it was here at University Of Massachusetts - Dartmouth that the three were friends with U-Mass student and Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Tonight, federal authorities say that a month before the marathon attack, two of the new suspects were told by Dzhokhar Tsarnaev that he knew how to make a bomb.
A month later the attack killed three at the finish line and injured more than 250.
Tonight's newly-filed federal charges say all three have admitted that on the evening of April 18 - three days after the attack, "they removed Tsarnaev's backpack, a pack containing fireworks, opened and emptied of powder.
They collectively decided to throw the backpack into the trash because they didn't want Tsarnaev to get into trouble."
Federal agents searched a nearby landfill and found the backpack and the fireworks that were inside.
The charges tonight: obstructing justice and lying to federal agents.
"He did not know that those items were involved in a bombing or of any interest in a bombing or of any evidential value," said Robert Stahl, attorney for Dias Kadyrbayev.
The two students from Kazakhstan were actually arrested on visa violations April 20th but at the time there wasn't enough evidence to charge them with the bombing cover-up.
national/world, chuck goudie
- Police officer shot in Arlington Heights 10 min ago
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil 3 min ago
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- Rally held to support CTA program that helps ex-convicts
- Mom charged after YouTube postings of alphabet lesson
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- Police officer shot in Arlington Heights
10 min ago
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
7 min ago