Pat Robertson on cheating: Men tend 'to wander a little bit'
May 17, 2013 (WLS) -- The Rev. Pat Robertson said, ''Stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he's a man. OK,'' when a viewer asked about forgiving a cheating husband.
Robertson is a TV evangelist on "The 700 Club, a syndicated daily news and talk show that airs across the nation. The viewer had asked for advice.
"I've been trying to forgive my husband for cheating on me," she said.
After asking his cohost what she thought, Robertson interjected, "He cheated on you. Well, he's a man. OK."
Robertson then said the viewer should focus on why she married her husband and try to fall in love again.
"Does he provide a home for you to live in? Does he provide food for you to eat?" he asked. "Males have a tendency to wander a little bit, and what you want to do is make the home so wonderful that he doesn't want to wander."
His response set off a storm of criticism.
"Hasn't Mr. Robertson forgotten about that little commandment that has to do with adultery?" wrote one person.
Some of Robertson's biggest critics appear to be other Christian leaders.
"I think it's outrageous. Historically, Christians take personal responsibilities for our actions and immoral choices and don't blame those on other people," Gabe Lyons, author of "The Next Christians," said.
Earlier this year, Robertson suggested that a woman's looks might be to blame for some marital problems.
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting 13 min ago
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife 39 min ago
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping 2 min ago
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- ComEd seeks rate hike to help pay for Smart Grid
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours
- Chicago casino plans pitched at gaming hearing
- Hero officers save two boys from West Pullman fire
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos