Pat Robertson on cheating: Men tend 'to wander a little bit'
May 17, 2013 (WLS) -- The Rev. Pat Robertson said, ''Stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he's a man. OK,'' when a viewer asked about forgiving a cheating husband.
Robertson is a TV evangelist on "The 700 Club, a syndicated daily news and talk show that airs across the nation. The viewer had asked for advice.
"I've been trying to forgive my husband for cheating on me," she said.
After asking his cohost what she thought, Robertson interjected, "He cheated on you. Well, he's a man. OK."
Robertson then said the viewer should focus on why she married her husband and try to fall in love again.
"Does he provide a home for you to live in? Does he provide food for you to eat?" he asked. "Males have a tendency to wander a little bit, and what you want to do is make the home so wonderful that he doesn't want to wander."
His response set off a storm of criticism.
"Hasn't Mr. Robertson forgotten about that little commandment that has to do with adultery?" wrote one person.
Some of Robertson's biggest critics appear to be other Christian leaders.
"I think it's outrageous. Historically, Christians take personal responsibilities for our actions and immoral choices and don't blame those on other people," Gabe Lyons, author of "The Next Christians," said.
Earlier this year, Robertson suggested that a woman's looks might be to blame for some marital problems.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago 19 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move 58 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 24 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor 39 min ago
- 7 in :77