Pat Robertson on cheating: Men tend 'to wander a little bit'
May 17, 2013 (WLS) -- The Rev. Pat Robertson said, ''Stop talking about the cheating. He cheated on you. Well, he's a man. OK,'' when a viewer asked about forgiving a cheating husband.
Robertson is a TV evangelist on "The 700 Club, a syndicated daily news and talk show that airs across the nation. The viewer had asked for advice.
"I've been trying to forgive my husband for cheating on me," she said.
After asking his cohost what she thought, Robertson interjected, "He cheated on you. Well, he's a man. OK."
Robertson then said the viewer should focus on why she married her husband and try to fall in love again.
"Does he provide a home for you to live in? Does he provide food for you to eat?" he asked. "Males have a tendency to wander a little bit, and what you want to do is make the home so wonderful that he doesn't want to wander."
His response set off a storm of criticism.
"Hasn't Mr. Robertson forgotten about that little commandment that has to do with adultery?" wrote one person.
Some of Robertson's biggest critics appear to be other Christian leaders.
"I think it's outrageous. Historically, Christians take personal responsibilities for our actions and immoral choices and don't blame those on other people," Gabe Lyons, author of "The Next Christians," said.
Earlier this year, Robertson suggested that a woman's looks might be to blame for some marital problems.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party 50 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- 7 in :77