Simi teacher arrested; Malia Brooks, 32, accused of sex with 6th grader
June 13, 2013 (SIMI VALLEY, Calif.) -- A Simi Valley, California, elementary school teacher makes her first court appearance after being arrested on charges she had a sexual relationship with an underage student.
A tearful booking photo taken just moments after 32-year-old teacher Malia Brooks was arrested for a having an ongoing sexual relationship with a student at Garden Grove Elementary School.
Simi Valley police remained tight lipped about where and when the alleged crimes occurred and how they found out. The victim they say is a sixth grade boy.
Allegations against Brooks first surfaced in late February. She was immediately placed on paid administrative leave. She resigned last week and Tuesday she was arrested. at the campus. Parents tried to stay festive as they arrived with their children for the last day of school and the sixth grade graduation ceremony.
Lina Centeno's son was in Brooks' sixth grade class. She says her son never noticed anything unusual in class. She says it's been hard trying to explain to her son what happened. District officials say Brooks had been a sixth grade teacher at Garden Grove since 2004 and was an exemplary employee. Now the married mother of two is behind bars, her bail set at $2 million.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Lawyer: No more appeals for Crundwell
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout