IBM layoffs coming, could be as many as 8,000
June 13, 2013 (RALEIGH, N.C.) (WLS) -- Layoff notices were going out to thousands of IBM employees worldwide Wednesday.
Rumors swirled in North Carolina and Vermont, states expected to feel significant impact from the notices.
The company, one of the original tenants in Research Triangle Park, brings big business to the Raleigh-Durham, N.C., area. Right now, it is not known exactly how many layoffs will happen there.
IBM says it won't comment on reports of layoffs at its facilities in Vermont and elsewhere. State officials said Wednesday that IBM had notified them that a national reorganization would result in job losses in Vermont.
Based on a cost-cutting figure given by IBM earlier this year, some major business publications are reporting the number could be 6,000 to 8,000 worldwide. IBM is tight lipped.
A spokesperson for the IBM operation in RTP would only resend WTVD-TV in Raleigh a company statement that says in a highly competitive environment some level of workforce remix is a constant requirement. However, word is out around RTP that there will be some layoffs locally.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop 12 min ago
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Catalytic converters stolen from cars in Chicago Lawn 16 min ago
- I-55 rest stop dedicated to fallen state trooper 3 min ago
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West...
12 min ago