IBM layoffs coming, could be as many as 8,000
June 13, 2013 (RALEIGH, N.C.) (WLS) -- Layoff notices were going out to thousands of IBM employees worldwide Wednesday.
Rumors swirled in North Carolina and Vermont, states expected to feel significant impact from the notices.
The company, one of the original tenants in Research Triangle Park, brings big business to the Raleigh-Durham, N.C., area. Right now, it is not known exactly how many layoffs will happen there.
IBM says it won't comment on reports of layoffs at its facilities in Vermont and elsewhere. State officials said Wednesday that IBM had notified them that a national reorganization would result in job losses in Vermont.
Based on a cost-cutting figure given by IBM earlier this year, some major business publications are reporting the number could be 6,000 to 8,000 worldwide. IBM is tight lipped.
A spokesperson for the IBM operation in RTP would only resend WTVD-TV in Raleigh a company statement that says in a highly competitive environment some level of workforce remix is a constant requirement. However, word is out around RTP that there will be some layoffs locally.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Video: I-Team Mall Security 21 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88 15 min ago
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville votes to allow MMA fights, with restrictions
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- Chicago FOP president suspended
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor