'Tornado looters' traveled to Oklahoma, police say, to steal items
June 14, 2013 (MOORE, Oklahoma) -- Tornado looters stole jewelry, watches, cameras and more from people who had already lost so much in Moore, Oklahoma, officials said.
Authorities say the tornado looters traveled from as far away as New York and Virginia to go through the rubble before homeowners could.
The Oklahoman reports that police arrested one man from Elmhurst, N.Y., and two from Virginia on misdemeanor complaints of stealing copper wire, scrap metal and other items from homes destroyed by the May 20 tornado. Twenty-four people were killed.
Several Moore residents were also arrested on similar misdemeanor complaints.
Residents have filed (Copyright ©2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 52 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 52 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 30 min ago
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 18 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass 58 min ago
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home