Walmart hostage situation leaves suspect fatally shot, 2-year-old unharmed
July 2, 2013 (WLS) -- A horrifying hostage situation unfolded at a grocery store in Oklahoma.
A mother had just turned away when a stranger pulled her 2-year-old daughter out of their shopping cart.
Witnesses called 9-1-1 as the man held a knife to the child. One shopper blocked the man with his cart until police arrived.
Police tried to negotiate, but the man suddenly started a countdown. That's when one officer distracted him, while another fired a single deadly shot.
The incident was shown on surveillance video.
The little girl was not physically harmed.
- 4 girls, 1 boy shot in Park Manor drive-by 2 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 37 min ago
- Wizards rally past Bulls in Game 1
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout