Pilot, wingwalker practiced before air show crash near Dayton, Ohio: NTSB
July 4, 2013 (DAYTON, Ohio) -- A preliminary report from federal investigators says a wing walker and aerobatic pilot killed in a fiery crash at an Ohio air show practiced their performance the previous day and reported no mechanical problems.
The June 22 crash at the Vectren Air Show near Dayton was witnessed by thousands of horrified spectators and captured on video.
An accident report from the National Transportation Safety Board says the plane was turned upside-down and positioned to cross in front of the crowd when the nose pitched slightly and the plane abruptly rolled and struck ground. The report does not address the cause of the crash.
Federal Aviation Administration records showed clean safety records for the 64-year-old pilot, Charlie Schwenker, and 44-year-old performer Jane Wicker. Both were from Virginia.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs 50 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 44 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 29 min ago
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons 24 min ago
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
44 min ago
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
50 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos