Controversy surrounds float in N. Carolina July 4 parade
HOPE MILLS, N.C. -- A Fourth of July parade float is coming under fire after residents believe the message was offensive at a family oriented event.
People lined the streets of Hope Mills Thursday for the community's annual July 4th parade.
A picture snapped by a parade-goer shows a man on a tractor flying a confederate flag and pulling a wagon loaded with watermelons. A sign on the trailer read: "White History Month. Hug WTE PPL."
Town officials told ABC11 that farmer Donnie Spell applied for and received a parade permit. However, officials said Spell told them he would be pulling an antique tractor with a sign that read: "Watermelons for sale" at a nearby bank parking lot.
When ABC11 went to Spell's home, his gate was locked. A neighbor said he didn't think the man was trying to be vicious or funny.
But people that saw the float thought otherwise.
"This should be over, all that stuff should be over. I don't understand why people are still living like this," Hope Mills resident Suzanne Singletary said.
Town officials said they are considering making changes to the registration process so that this does not happen again.
cumberland county, national/world, greg barnes
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square 23 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway 47 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan 29 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Pfleger wants 'American' billboard with assault weapon removed 39 min ago
- Girl, 3, ID'd after fatal Rogers Park mattress fire
- Tinley Park HS teacher resigns after sex assault charges
- Man shot to death in Hammond
- Man charged with murder for South Side bar shooting
- Chicago-Portland flight allegedly disrupted by man who wanted 4...
- Sign of Spring: Original Rainbow Cone now open
- NJ judge rules moms don't have to let dads in delivery room
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
23 min ago
- Wrong-way driver collides with semi on Skyway
47 min ago
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
29 min ago