Several men allegedly held captive for years in Houston
July 19, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- Authorities are trying out sort out details at a scene where several people were reportedly being held against their will in north Houston.
Police got a call just before 8:30 a.m. Friday about several people held inside a garage in the 8600-block of White Castle Lane. Officers arrived to find the front door nailed shut, but once inside the home, they found what they described as a "prison room" with trash everywhere. There were no beds or chairs in the room.
Police say four men, ages 79, 54, 74 and about 65, were being kept in the room against their will. One victim says he's been there for about 10 years. Three of the men were physically unable to walk and were tranported to LBJ Hospital. The fourth victim is in slightly better condition.
Three women and a suspect live in the house, according to authorities. One person has been taken into custody. There's no word yet what charges that person could face.
"One of them seemed to think he was picked up off the street and brought here," said Houston Police Sgt. J.W. McCoy. "In exchange for beer and cigarettes and a place to stay, he had to turn over his Social Security check."
One of the men told KTRK-TV he had been staying at the house for about six months, and while he had no desire to leave, he did say living conditions were not good.
Representatives from adult protective services are being called in for assistance.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas