Several men allegedly held captive for years in Houston
July 19, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- Authorities are trying out sort out details at a scene where several people were reportedly being held against their will in north Houston.
Police got a call just before 8:30 a.m. Friday about several people held inside a garage in the 8600-block of White Castle Lane. Officers arrived to find the front door nailed shut, but once inside the home, they found what they described as a "prison room" with trash everywhere. There were no beds or chairs in the room.
Police say four men, ages 79, 54, 74 and about 65, were being kept in the room against their will. One victim says he's been there for about 10 years. Three of the men were physically unable to walk and were tranported to LBJ Hospital. The fourth victim is in slightly better condition.
Three women and a suspect live in the house, according to authorities. One person has been taken into custody. There's no word yet what charges that person could face.
"One of them seemed to think he was picked up off the street and brought here," said Houston Police Sgt. J.W. McCoy. "In exchange for beer and cigarettes and a place to stay, he had to turn over his Social Security check."
One of the men told KTRK-TV he had been staying at the house for about six months, and while he had no desire to leave, he did say living conditions were not good.
Representatives from adult protective services are being called in for assistance.
- Snow blankets city, suburbs after March storm
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase
- Bears terminate Julius Peppers contract
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary