Several men allegedly held captive for years in Houston
July 19, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- Authorities are trying out sort out details at a scene where several people were reportedly being held against their will in north Houston.
Police got a call just before 8:30 a.m. Friday about several people held inside a garage in the 8600-block of White Castle Lane. Officers arrived to find the front door nailed shut, but once inside the home, they found what they described as a "prison room" with trash everywhere. There were no beds or chairs in the room.
Police say four men, ages 79, 54, 74 and about 65, were being kept in the room against their will. One victim says he's been there for about 10 years. Three of the men were physically unable to walk and were tranported to LBJ Hospital. The fourth victim is in slightly better condition.
Three women and a suspect live in the house, according to authorities. One person has been taken into custody. There's no word yet what charges that person could face.
"One of them seemed to think he was picked up off the street and brought here," said Houston Police Sgt. J.W. McCoy. "In exchange for beer and cigarettes and a place to stay, he had to turn over his Social Security check."
One of the men told KTRK-TV he had been staying at the house for about six months, and while he had no desire to leave, he did say living conditions were not good.
Representatives from adult protective services are being called in for assistance.
- Alsip refinery fire after possible explosion 5 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights 35 min ago
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges 36 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 2 min ago
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago 38 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch 19 min ago
- 8 LSD crashes reported within 1 mile in 1 hour
- Doritos wings, Mountain Dew dipping sauce could come to BWW
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold 39 min ago
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to teen sex assault
- Prisoner charged in 1988 Rogers Park rape, murder
- CTA auctioning seats, signs, rail car, more
- Chicago man gets 50 years in ex-wife's death
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
2 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington...
35 min ago
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
36 min ago