Several men allegedly held captive for years in Houston
July 19, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- Authorities are trying out sort out details at a scene where several people were reportedly being held against their will in north Houston.
Police got a call just before 8:30 a.m. Friday about several people held inside a garage in the 8600-block of White Castle Lane. Officers arrived to find the front door nailed shut, but once inside the home, they found what they described as a "prison room" with trash everywhere. There were no beds or chairs in the room.
Police say four men, ages 79, 54, 74 and about 65, were being kept in the room against their will. One victim says he's been there for about 10 years. Three of the men were physically unable to walk and were tranported to LBJ Hospital. The fourth victim is in slightly better condition.
Three women and a suspect live in the house, according to authorities. One person has been taken into custody. There's no word yet what charges that person could face.
"One of them seemed to think he was picked up off the street and brought here," said Houston Police Sgt. J.W. McCoy. "In exchange for beer and cigarettes and a place to stay, he had to turn over his Social Security check."
One of the men told KTRK-TV he had been staying at the house for about six months, and while he had no desire to leave, he did say living conditions were not good.
Representatives from adult protective services are being called in for assistance.
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman 10 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy 52 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 40 min ago
- CFD vehicle involved in South Side crash
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Woman accused of stealing credit cards from Loop gym
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
40 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
52 min ago
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
56 min ago