Texas woman Myrta Fariza injured in Spain train crash dies, source says
July 28, 2013 (CLEAR LAKE, Texas) -- Myrta Fariza of Clear Lake died Sunday from injuries sustained in a deadly train crash in Spain last week, according to a close family friend.
Family members say Fariza and her husband were on the train when it crashed Wednesday night in Santiago de Compostela. Her death brings to fatality toll to 79.
Myrta and Bobby Fariza were in Europe for a daughter's wedding in Rome two weeks ago. They stayed in Europe and were traveling in Spain together when the crash happened.
Robert escaped with minor injuries. Myrta was much worse off.
According to the Associated Press, the driver of the train said minutes after the crash that he had been going fast and couldn't brake. That man has been released from the hospital and is in police custody on suspicion of negligent homicide.
The Fariza family released a statement Sunday, expressing their grief and revealing their strong faith.
"Myrta was our loving wife, mother, sister and friend and words cannot express our sense of loss. To all who knew her, Myrta provided irreplaceable love, compassion, courage, friendship and support. We will miss her dearly," the statement read. " It is in times like these that we lean on our family, our friends, our faith and our community. With grateful hearts, we send sincerest appreciation to everybody for their tremendous love, support and prayers during this very difficult time. We ask that you continue to keep Myrta and the many others who have been impacted by the terrible traintragedy in your prayers."
If you're interested in donating to the Fariza family, you can do so through their Facebook page.
- CTA: Red Line delays persist, train service restored 63rd to 95th 53 min ago
- Freezing rain reported around Wis. border
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Report: Centrella could buy some Dominick's stores
- Rogers Park stabbing leaves woman, 21, blind; man charged
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- 4M passengers expected at Chicago's airports during holidays
- Man charged with fatal shooting of 12-year-old in 2012
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- London Apollo Theatre collapse injures 79
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates
- 7 in :77
abc7chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos