Baby monitor hacked, Texas dad says, hacker made threats to toddler
August 13, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- The father of two toddlers is sharing his disturbing story to warn other parents about the dangers of IP cameras.
The story has a creepy factor. The father in northwest Harris County says he and his wife heard a detached voiced saying sexual things to their 2-year-old daughter, and it was coming from her room.
For two years, Marc Gilbert and his wife have come to rely on their Internet cameras.
"We almost couldn't live without it," he said.
With them, they could watch their two toddlers in their rooms. But over the weekend, someone else was watching, too.
"It felt like somebody broke into our house," Gilbert said.
Gilbert says he first heard a voice from down the hall. As he and his wife got closer, what it was saying got worse.
"He said, 'Wake up Allyson, you little (expletive),'" Gilbert said.
And soon he knew it was coming from the camera.
"I see the camera move on us," Gilbert said.
Gilbert immediately pulled the plug and started doing research. He believes someone hacked his router as well as the camera. The person could see Allyson's name on the bedroom wall to call her by it. He now wants to warn parents about the danger.
"As a father, I'm supposed to protect her against people like this. So it's a little embarrassing to say the least, but it's not going to happen again," Gilbert said.
The only saving grace is that Allyson never heard a thing.
"Allyson was born deaf, so she has cochlear implants. Thankfully we had them off and she didn't hear any of it, and she slept right through it," Gilbert said.
A computer expert suggests following all security recommendations for these types of cameras, as well as securing your home networks as much as possible.
national/world, jessica willey
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 14 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night 10 min ago
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting 35 min ago
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party 48 min ago
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots 22 min ago
- Swimming pools upgrade project moving forward 4 min ago
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 56 min ago
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
14 min ago