Denny's shooting kills customer, wounds Houston employee in violent robbery
August 27, 2013 (HOUSTON) -- Police say gunmen robbed a west Houston restaurant overnight and shot two people before getting away. One of those shooting victims died.
According to police, at least three gunmen barged into the Denny's along I-10 and Washington around 10:40pm and ordered everyone to get on the ground.
Authorities say there were at least 15 people in the restaurant at the time of the robbery, including men, women and children. That is when police say the suspects fired multiple rounds as they continued robbing the restaurant and customers.
"They entered forced everybody to the ground and immediately started taking money from customers as well as from the registers," said Sr. Officer Ken Nealy with the Houston Police Department robbery division.
"From what they tell me that three to five suspects walked in with mask on and started shooting and robbing people," said restaurant customer Luigi Major.
Police say an employee and a customer were both shot. Both victims were taken to the hospital. That's where police say the customer was pronounced dead.
The employee was shot multiples times in the lower body as he ran out trying to escape the restaurant. He managed to run to an IHOP across the highway for help. He is expected to survive.
Police are looking at the restaurant's surveillance video to see if they can identify the gunmen. The suspects were last seen taking off in a minivan. Police are looking for three suspects including a get-a-way driver.
An investigation is under way.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 50 min ago
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more 25 min ago
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
50 min ago