Wolf attack survivor, 16, talks after Minnesota ordeal
August 28, 2013 (LAKE WINNIBIGOSHISH, Minn.) -- A Minnesota teenager who survived an incredibly rare wolf attack while on a camping trip is speaking out about the terrifying ordeal.
Noah Graham is counting his blessings after a surprise attack and a camping trip he'll never forget. The 16-year-old was lying in a sleeping bag outside his tent Saturday, in rural Minnesota, when he was mauled by a grey wolf.
"I didn't hear the wolf coming, I didn't see it. Just no sense at all that it was there until it was actually on my head," said Graham.
Graham reached back and used his bare hands to pull his head out of the wolf's jaws, leaving a four-inch gash and deep scratches.
"I thought for sure it was going to come back at me and that's the scary part," Graham said.
Authorities tracked down the wolf they believe attacked Graham. It's been put to sleep and is being tested for rabies. Investigators say the wolf had an unusual jaw, possibly making it hard for the animal to hunt, leading it to scrounge for food at the campground.
"It kept it from acting as a normal wolf would," said Tom Provost, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.
Wolf attacks on humans are incredibly rare. This was the first documented wolf attack ever in the state of Minnesota - and in all of North America. There have only been two documented deaths caused by wolf attacks. But even with those slim chances, you won't find Graham sleeping outside his tent again the next time he goes camping.
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes 11 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 16 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
16 min ago
- 7 in :77
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park...
11 min ago