Aaron Alexis Video: Navy Yard shooting suspect combs halls for victims
September 25, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- Navy Yard shooting video and pictures released by the FBI show alleged gunman Aaron Alexis stalking the hallways with a Remington 870 shotgun with a sawed-off barrel and stock.
Alexis, 34, went on a shooting rampage at the Navy Yard on September 16, 2013, killing 12 and wounding four before officers shot and killed the former Navy reservist.
In a photo gallery released by the FBI, messages etched on the side of Alexis' shotgun are clearly visible. Carved on the left side of the shotgun are the phrases "Better of this way!" and "My ELF weapon!" while the right side says "Not what y'all say." An etching on the barrel of the shotgun says "End to the torment!"
FBI investigators believe that Alexis had a delusional belief that he was being controlled by extremely low frequency waves, and believe that the "ELF" carved on the shotgun refers to these electromagnetic waves.
According the FBI, Alexis used his legitimate security access to enter the building to carry out a massacre that lasted for roughly an hour. The FBI believes Alexis used both the shotgun and a Beretta handgun the he obtained during the course of the shooting.
- Blackhawks lose heartbreaking 3OT STL Game 1
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- I-Team: Misconduct alleged at US Marshal's office
- I-Team: Warning about home loans
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos