Diana Nyad plans 48 hour charity swim
October 7, 2013 (WLS) -- Diana Nyad is going the extra mile to help Hurricane Sandy victims.
The Lake Forest College graduate is fresh off her record-breaking swim from Cuba to Florida.
Starting Tuesday Nyad will swim 48 hours non-stop in a two-lane pool in New York City.
The event will raise funds for Americares, a nonprofit organization that delivers medicines, medical supplies and aid to people in need around the world.
"We're gonna have a rotation of a great diverse group of people for the 48 hours in the middle of the night, 2 or 3 in the morning," said Nyad. " I'm gonna have people in that pool next to me."
An estimated 25,000 east coast residents are still homeless after Hurricane Sandy.
To make a donation go to www.nyadswimforrelief.com
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 37 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead 43 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones 11 min ago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos