Diana Nyad plans 48 hour charity swim
October 7, 2013 (WLS) -- Diana Nyad is going the extra mile to help Hurricane Sandy victims.
The Lake Forest College graduate is fresh off her record-breaking swim from Cuba to Florida.
Starting Tuesday Nyad will swim 48 hours non-stop in a two-lane pool in New York City.
The event will raise funds for Americares, a nonprofit organization that delivers medicines, medical supplies and aid to people in need around the world.
"We're gonna have a rotation of a great diverse group of people for the 48 hours in the middle of the night, 2 or 3 in the morning," said Nyad. " I'm gonna have people in that pool next to me."
An estimated 25,000 east coast residents are still homeless after Hurricane Sandy.
To make a donation go to www.nyadswimforrelief.com
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds