Diana Nyad plans 48 hour charity swim
October 7, 2013 (WLS) -- Diana Nyad is going the extra mile to help Hurricane Sandy victims.
The Lake Forest College graduate is fresh off her record-breaking swim from Cuba to Florida.
Starting Tuesday Nyad will swim 48 hours non-stop in a two-lane pool in New York City.
The event will raise funds for Americares, a nonprofit organization that delivers medicines, medical supplies and aid to people in need around the world.
"We're gonna have a rotation of a great diverse group of people for the 48 hours in the middle of the night, 2 or 3 in the morning," said Nyad. " I'm gonna have people in that pool next to me."
An estimated 25,000 east coast residents are still homeless after Hurricane Sandy.
To make a donation go to www.nyadswimforrelief.com
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 11 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River mouth 38 min ago
- Brutal cold grips continues; more snow coming
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Gun violence victims remembered at Roseland vigil
- Block 37 developers indicted on federal fraud charges
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Our Lady of Guadalupe celebration wraps up in Des Plaines
- Feds crack down on unsafe buses
- No retrial for alleged CPD torture victim Wrice
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party