Citizen Chris Cox mows lawn of Lincoln Memorial during government shutdown
October 9, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- A South Carolina man put himself in charge of cleaning up the Lincoln Memorial grounds during the government shutdown, but he was told to leave.
Chris Cox was spotted earlier in the day pushing a lawn mower at the memorial and emptying trash cans, things normally done by park service employees.
"Over my dead body are we going to let this deteriorate, does the government think we're going to stop taking out the trash at our memorials if they shut it down?" said Cox.
When Cox started doing some work with a chainsaw, he was told the monument was closing and was asked to leave.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home