Citizen Chris Cox mows lawn of Lincoln Memorial during government shutdown
October 9, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- A South Carolina man put himself in charge of cleaning up the Lincoln Memorial grounds during the government shutdown, but he was told to leave.
Chris Cox was spotted earlier in the day pushing a lawn mower at the memorial and emptying trash cans, things normally done by park service employees.
"Over my dead body are we going to let this deteriorate, does the government think we're going to stop taking out the trash at our memorials if they shut it down?" said Cox.
When Cox started doing some work with a chainsaw, he was told the monument was closing and was asked to leave.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond 22 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...