Suave lawsuit claims hair, scalp damage
October 17, 2013 (WLS) -- A do-it-yourself hair smoothing kit is named in a class action lawsuit by women who claim it seriously damaged their hair and scalp.
"Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion 30-Day Smoothing Kit," was supposed to transform frizzy hair.
But instead many women now claim it burned their scalp and destroyed their hair.
Suave recalled the product in May of last year.
The lawsuit claims the company did not do enough to warn customers to stop using it.
It also believes the kit was not formaldehyde-free as advertised.
"It has definitely affected my self-esteem, my ability to actually want to go places," said Darlene Johnson.
Unilever, the company that makes the kit, says the company takes the claims seriously, but cannot comment on ongoing litigation.
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle 58 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted 57 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting 7 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment 55 min ago
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 23 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- 7 in :77
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
58 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten,...
57 min ago