Worker mauled to death in Oregon wild cat sanctuary; Renee Radziwon, 38, killed by exotic animal in remote area
November 9, 2013 (SHERWOOD, Ore.) (WLS) -- A worker was mauled to death in a remote area of a wild cat sanctuary in Sherwood, Oregon, leading to growing concerns of safety around the wild animals.
By the time police got to 38-year-old caretaker Renee Radziwon, she was already dead, mauled by an exotic cat.
"It's dark, this is a remote area, the area in has a wild look to it," said Sgt. Robert Wurpes, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators don't know if the big cat's enclosure was left open or if it escaped.
Messages left by ABC News to Wildcat Haven had not been returned.
It's just the latest attack at a wild animal refuge.
In March, 24-year old intern Diana Hanson was killed by a 550-pound lion, which escaped from its feeding pen at a California sanctuary.
And in June, 21-year old caretaker Marissa Dub was critically injured when a tiger attacked her at an Indiana animal refuge.
SOT: Rebecca Micelli, Dir. of Animal Care, Wildlife Sanctuary in Colorado "These are wild animals and even in situations where people who would know lots about them or work with them, that at the end of the day, they are what they are, which is wild predators," said Rebecca Micelli, Dir. of Animal Care, Wildlife Sanctuary in Colorado.
Authorities in Oregon say all the cats at Wildcat Haven have been accounted for.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 10 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 18 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears 41 min ago
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as alderman
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
18 min ago
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
10 min ago