Teen kills sister in Oakland over bleached laundry, family says;
January 24, 2014 (OAKLAND, Calif.) -- The relatives of a 17-year-old Northern California girl say she was shot and killed by her 14-year-old brother because of an argument over laundry.
Oakland police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said officers received a report of the shooting just after noon Thursday and found the girl in a downtown apartment with a fatal gunshot wound. The victim was pronounced dead by emergency medical workers.
Family members tell KTVU-TV that the girl was shot after getting into an argument with her brother over laundry. They say she had bleached some of his clothing.
Police have not confirmed a motive. The investigation is ongoing.
KGO-TV reports the victim, Justice Toliver, was allegedly shot by her brother at a 12-story apartment complex on Franklin Street.
Standing outside the apartment building several hours after the shooting, the victim's cousin, 22-year-old Oakland resident Marianna Gaston said, "Nothing makes sense. It doesn't add up."
The suspect's grandmother begged her grandson to come forward, "So once again, grandson, grandma is asking you, please do the right thing, please," she said. "And I love you, I love you with all my heart."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...