Super Bowl date change possible due to weather
January 24, 2014 -- Counting down to the Super Bowl -- the big question now -- when exactly will it take place?
Of course, it's supposed to be next Sunday, but for the first time ever, the NFL is suggesting the date might be moved if it's too cold or snowy on Super Bowl Sunday.
Could we see a Super Bowl Friday, or Saturday, or even Monday? Believe it or not, it's possible if a major storm threatens the big day.
"We don't have a crystal ball on weather, but we're confident we'll be able to have our events," said Eric Grubman, executive VP, NFL.
On Wednesday, more than 1,000 workers shoveled out 13 inches of snow from the stands at Metlife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
"Our game is to experience the elements. It's part of what we do. It's part of football, and I believe that's part of our history," said Roger Goodell, NFL commissioner.
"If the Super Bowl is under siege because of Mother Nature, and everybody's plans are all messed up... it sounds like something right out of the movies," said Christine Brennan, USA Today.
This will be the first outdoor, cold-weather Super Bowl in the NFL's history, so officials hope fans will take the weather, giving out free hats, ear muffs, gloves, scarves, hand warmers, even a quarterback-style hand pocket.
"This is unprecedented stuff. The Super Bowl is the biggest sports event in the country," said Brennan. "And to think the date could actually move because of a snowstorm, that's possible. That's literally what we are talking about here."
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 54 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 20 min ago
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night 26 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge 31 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Chicagoans 'save,' electric bills skyrocket
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77
34 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
54 min ago