Texas student suspended after bringing beer to school by mistake
February 25, 2014 (LIVINGSTON, Texas) -- A Texas mother says her son made an honest mistake while packing his school lunch bag, but now that mistake is costing him dearly.
Christi Seale says her 17-year-old son Chaz accidentally confused a beer can for a soda can and packed it in his lunch.
"He was in a hurry, running late. We were talking about school and he put it all together and took off for school," she said.
When he realized his mistake at school, Chaz gave the unopened beer to his teacher. But that teacher then reported it to the principal at Livingston High School, who suspended the boy for three days and then sent him to an alternative school for two months.
Chaz said, "I gave it to the teacher thinking I wouldn't get in trouble, and I got in trouble."
Seale says the punishment is excessive. She says she always taught her son to be honest and forthright and now he has to pay a price for that honesty.
Livingston Independent School District wouldn't talk to Eyewitness News on camera but in a statement said, "The principal of Livingston High School followed appropriate LISD administrative procedures and protocol. LISD encourages any parent who is in disagreement with an administrative decision to seek relief through the appellate process as provided through Livingston ISD policies. Livingston ISD policies may be accessed through the Livingston ISD Homepage."
Seale is currently appealing the decision and is hoping to get her son's punishment reduced.
A Facebook page in support of the teenager has been started by friends of the family. After 24 hours of going online the page has close to 500 likes.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos