Long lines at polls as Chicagoans vote
CHICAGO (WLS) -- With history in the making, there excitement is sky-high across the nation and in Chicago.
One Evanston precinct is reporting a record turnout of close to 85 percent. That seems to be the story throughout the Chicago area.
"Make sure you have good reading material" -- that was the main piece of advice Tuesday morning from voters waiting in long lines, sometimes for up to two hours.
Lines were out the door all over Cook County. Despite the wait, most voters didn't appear to be frustrated. Those who spoke with ABC7 said it was worth it in order to be part of such an historic election.
"I think people are excited for something better than what we have now. I don't think people mind waiting at all, I didn't anyway," said Erica Harper, voter.
Election officials throughout Illinois say voters are setting records. In Chicago, there are more than 150,000 first time voters.
Turnout in could hit 85 percent. That's just shy of the record 91 percent turnout from 1944.
"This is a big stakes election. With a big stakes election, you're going to have a big turnout," said Rep. Rham Emanuel, (D) Chicago.
Voters throughout the city and suburbs say the enthusiasm behind this year's election is contagious, and the numbers are there to back it up.
"I think everyone is really excited about this election. I hope they're setting records. I'm glad lot of people came out today," said Jenny Blickenstaff, voter.
"It is historical, definitely, definitely, and also because one of the candidates is from Chicago is why our line might be so long. It's probably like this all over," said Julia Thurlow, voter.
"I had to be here. There was no way that I wasn't going to vote today," said Seanna Tully, voter.
Polls in Illinois are open until 7 p.m. Election officials say if you are in line by that time, you will get the chance to vote.
politics, dan ponce
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox 6 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 29 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
23 min ago