'Rhymefest' Smith may challenge results
April 6, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A vote challenge is looming in the city's 20th Ward race. Aldermanic candidate Che ''Rhymefest'' Smith is alleging massive vote fraud in the race.
With 98 percent of precincts reporting, Ald. Willie Cochran had 53 percent of the votes to Smith's 46 percent.
Smith and his attorneys met with election officials Tuesday night, questioning them about the results.
"We want to ensure that it's fair and that every vote is counted, and that people who didn't live in the ward of vacant lots weren't people who were voting. We want to make sure that the 20th Ward voices are heard," Smith said.
"This election is not final tonight, and that's the truth," said Fred Bates, Smith's attorney. "I don't know whether Alderman Cochran has declared victory or not, but we make no concessions."
"We concede nothing," Smith said.
Smith says he wants to see additional voter data before challenging the results in court.Alderman Cochran responded the fraud allegations during a visit to ABC7 Wednesday morning.
"The judges of the election, poll watchers, people at the Board of Elections, none of them are conspiring to create some kind of fake win. This was won in the field, in the battlefield. It was won by voters going into the booth doing what they they do, and that is 53 percent for Willie Cochran," he said.
"The data that will be produced by the Board of Election is open. There is administrative law and procedure that we will be following to review the outcome of this election," said Cochran. "In the end, it'll still be the same results."
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs 1 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 11 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton 47 min ago
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina 47 min ago
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen 45 min ago
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
1 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos