World spotlight shines on Chicago, Mayor Emanuel
May 20, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Mayor Rahm Emanuel hosted many world leaders who are in town for the NATO summit on Sunday.
Mayor Emanuel spent most of Sunday away from the news cameras at Chicago's McCormick Place, where the two-day NATO summit is being held. Instead, he greeted British Prime Minister David Cameron at his Chicago City Hall office and took him on a tour of the building's green rooftop.
"I want to welcome the Prime Minister here. We spent some time when I was Chief of Staff for the President," Mayor Emanuel said.
At noon, Mayor Emanuel and German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, the equivalent to the U.S. secretary of state, met. Emanuel was the only U.S. mayor to attend Defense Secretary Leon Panetta's business roundtable.
"His profile has been very, very big for many years to begin with. But it raises the profile in a way that he has influence and he knows the right things to do to bring to this city the world to show that it is truly a global city," Jack Sander said.
Emanuel would not allow local interviews to comment on allegations that he was a target of suspected terrorists. His staff says he did, however, sit for at least two "international" interviews later Sunday afternoon.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel has insisted repeatedly he has no plans to run for national office. But just in case he changes his mind, scenes of the mayor hobnobbing with foreign leaders might be helpful.
politics, charles thomas
- Off-duty sheriff's officer shot in Bellwood
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins prepares for spacewalk outside ISS
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos