Joe Walsh: Duckworth talks too much about military service
July 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican Congressman Joe Walsh is in hot water with veterans groups after he slammed his opponent, Democrat Tammy Duckworth, claiming the Iraq war veteran and double amputee talks too much about her military service.
His comment at a recent town hall meeting has now been posted on YouTube.
Walsh is defending what he said. "Of course, Tammy Duckworth is a hero," Walsh writes in a statement. "Her service demands our thanks and our respect but not our vote."
A spokesperson for Duckworth also released a statement. It reads in part, "Congressman Walsh's comments insult those who sacrificed to make this country free. Tammy is proud of her over 20 years of service with the army."
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus