Joe Walsh: Duckworth talks too much about military service
July 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican Congressman Joe Walsh is in hot water with veterans groups after he slammed his opponent, Democrat Tammy Duckworth, claiming the Iraq war veteran and double amputee talks too much about her military service.
His comment at a recent town hall meeting has now been posted on YouTube.
Walsh is defending what he said. "Of course, Tammy Duckworth is a hero," Walsh writes in a statement. "Her service demands our thanks and our respect but not our vote."
A spokesperson for Duckworth also released a statement. It reads in part, "Congressman Walsh's comments insult those who sacrificed to make this country free. Tammy is proud of her over 20 years of service with the army."
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- CTU president calls for tax changes to fund schools
- Governor, lawmakers plan to form new pension committee
- Most Blackhawks fans believe team will bounce back
- Chicago man creates smartphone safety app
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos