Joe Walsh: Duckworth talks too much about military service
July 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican Congressman Joe Walsh is in hot water with veterans groups after he slammed his opponent, Democrat Tammy Duckworth, claiming the Iraq war veteran and double amputee talks too much about her military service.
His comment at a recent town hall meeting has now been posted on YouTube.
Walsh is defending what he said. "Of course, Tammy Duckworth is a hero," Walsh writes in a statement. "Her service demands our thanks and our respect but not our vote."
A spokesperson for Duckworth also released a statement. It reads in part, "Congressman Walsh's comments insult those who sacrificed to make this country free. Tammy is proud of her over 20 years of service with the army."
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 23 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 4 min ago
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western 4 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash 37 min ago
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake