Joe Walsh: Duckworth talks too much about military service
July 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican Congressman Joe Walsh is in hot water with veterans groups after he slammed his opponent, Democrat Tammy Duckworth, claiming the Iraq war veteran and double amputee talks too much about her military service.
His comment at a recent town hall meeting has now been posted on YouTube.
Walsh is defending what he said. "Of course, Tammy Duckworth is a hero," Walsh writes in a statement. "Her service demands our thanks and our respect but not our vote."
A spokesperson for Duckworth also released a statement. It reads in part, "Congressman Walsh's comments insult those who sacrificed to make this country free. Tammy is proud of her over 20 years of service with the army."
- Exclusive: Boy 'on alert' after surviving pit bull attack
- Judge orders day care worker released from jail
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Religious display vandalized at Daley Plaza
- Sites suggested for George Lucas museum in Chicago
- Ravinia tickets on sale Thursday for 2014 concert season
- NTSB head calls for rail tank car changes
- Wortham lawsuit settled with Mississippi gun dealer
- Summer Infant recalls 800K baby monitors
- Divvy passes 1 million trip milestone in 9 months
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game