Joe Walsh: Duckworth talks too much about military service
July 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Republican Congressman Joe Walsh is in hot water with veterans groups after he slammed his opponent, Democrat Tammy Duckworth, claiming the Iraq war veteran and double amputee talks too much about her military service.
His comment at a recent town hall meeting has now been posted on YouTube.
Walsh is defending what he said. "Of course, Tammy Duckworth is a hero," Walsh writes in a statement. "Her service demands our thanks and our respect but not our vote."
A spokesperson for Duckworth also released a statement. It reads in part, "Congressman Walsh's comments insult those who sacrificed to make this country free. Tammy is proud of her over 20 years of service with the army."
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 57 min ago
- Man turns self in after baby dies in crash
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Metra delays after man hit by train on NW Side 13 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 4 min ago
- Guzman lieutenant set to plead guilty in Chicago 5 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Russia, Crimean politicians discuss referendum
- Fortune cookie turns Bronx woman into millionaire
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- 7 in :77
32 min ago
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park...
57 min ago