Walsh wants Duckworth to release tax returns, apologize to 8th District voters for apparently improper homeowner exemption claims
August 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Eighth Congressional District candidate Tammy Duckworth apparently improperly claimed two homeowner exemptions from 2007 to 2010
The error was discovered through an investigation by ABC7's news partners The Daily Herald.
The Daily Herald says Duckworth claimed homestead exemptions in both DeKalb County and Cook County. By law, Illinois residents are allowed to claim exemption, but only on their primary residence.
Duckworth says she was unaware she had been claiming both exemptions simultaneously. She says she has paid more than $1,900 in back taxes, plus an additional $600 in fees.
Duckworth's Republican counterpart, Representative Joe Walsh, says he wants Duckworth to "release her tax returns from that period and apologize to voters of the 8th District."
- Extreme cold continues, more snow on the way 25 min ago
- Chicago memorials honor Nelson Mandela 3 min ago
- Evan Lysacek out of Sochi Games due to injury
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Firefighter crashes van into Ind. home, suffers burns 31 min ago
- Sex assault trial begins without defendant, 85 26 min ago
- Northwest Side fire displaces 5
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Flossmoor fire injures woman
- Evanston attempted sex assault triggers alert
- O'Hare yoga room opening
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Bobby Rush returning to Congress from leave of absence
- 7 in :77
- Extreme cold continues, more snow on the way
25 min ago