Dems pick temporary replacement for Derrick Smith
August 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Democratic leaders in Springfield have announced a temporary replacement for ousted West Side Democrat Derrick Smith.
The Illinois House voted to expel Smith earlier this month.
Smith is accused of taking a $7,000 bribe in a federal sting operation.
Late Friday, leaders named Chicago police officer Eddie Winters to serve until January when a new state rep is sworn in.
Smith is still on the ballot this fall. He has denied any wrong doing.
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney