Dems pick temporary replacement for Derrick Smith
August 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Democratic leaders in Springfield have announced a temporary replacement for ousted West Side Democrat Derrick Smith.
The Illinois House voted to expel Smith earlier this month.
Smith is accused of taking a $7,000 bribe in a federal sting operation.
Late Friday, leaders named Chicago police officer Eddie Winters to serve until January when a new state rep is sworn in.
Smith is still on the ballot this fall. He has denied any wrong doing.
- Extra-alarm blaze struck in Irving Park
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing 27 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State 43 min ago
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects face detention hearing
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- 7 in :77