Ill. GOP reacts to Ann Romney, Chris Christie speeches
August 28, 2012 (TAMPA, Fla.) (WLS) -- The Republican National Convention came to life Tuesday night with primetime speeches from two of the party's biggest stars.
The heartfelt emotion of Ann Romney's speech was in sharp contrast to the words of straight talking New Jersey Hovernor Chris Christie who fired up party faithful for the election fight this fall.
"Illinois casts 69 votes unanimously for the next President of the United States Mitt Romney," said Dan Rutherford (D) Illinois treasurer.
Once the formalities were finished, Illinois delegates anxiously awaited Ann Romney's speech, realizing that many voters wanted to see how she would define her husband and family.
"You can tell they are deeply in love. They've raised five wonderful children and have this wonderful family that seems very real," said Katie Dold-White, Republican delegate.
"Ann Romney knows Mitt Romney better than anybody else in the world today," said Ron Gidwitz, Republican delegate.
With most of the lineup from Monday's canceled session appearing, delegates with a day's worth of pent up energy cheered wildly for the undercard. All expected the New Jersey would be the primetime showstopper. Downstate Congressman Aaron Schock, who sat in the Romney family box, wasn't worried that Christie was using the speech to position himself for a future White House run.
"I think he's got his own style," said Schock. "I think it's much different than Mitt's. But I think it's effective."
politics, charles thomas
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Flight 370, missing Malaysia plane, had asylum seeker onboard
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- 1 dead, 8 injured in Chicago shootings Monday night
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed 54 min ago
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to... 4 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- 7 in :77