DNC looks for diversity in Charlotte
September 2, 2012 (CHARLOTTE, N.C.) (WLS) -- One of the biggest differences between what happened last week at the Republican convention and what will happen this week in Charlotte at the Democratic convention is the diversity among the delegates.
You can see it on the streets of downtown Charlotte. Delegates and other convention-goers of virtually every race with a noted increase in the number of Latinos.
"We have more minorities that are delegates that are Latino than ever before," said Rep. Linda Chapa Lavia (Ill.-D). "So you have a new surge, voters from the Latino population that want to get behind Barack."
Despite several high profile speakers last week in Tampa, minorities were a scarce commodity on the Republican convention floor.
"I think if you look at the floor of the Democratic convention you'll see America," said Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle. "I don't think you saw that on the floor of the Republican convention."
"They have pursued a state's rights, Fort Sumter, tea-party ideology that has made them much more narrow than is the nation," said Rev. Jesse Jackson.
Chicago AFL-CIO President Jorge Ramirez expects Democrats to celebrate organized labor, unlike Republican speakers who criticized unions.
"The only mentions of labor really were to talk about us as more of a hindrance to their platform and their politics," said Chicago Federation of Labor's Jorge Ramirez.
While Republicans used a different theme for each convention day, the Democrats use will one slogan: Americans Coming Together.
"When people come together and work together as a team, that's when our country works best," said Illinois Governor Pat Quinn. "There are folks in the other party that like to divide people and we're not going to let them do it."
The Democratic prime time speakers have been advised not to be as combative as the Republican speakers.
politics, charles thomas
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 49 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from... 39 min ago
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney