Bobby Rush: Jesse Jackson Jr. on way back to Mayo Clinic
October 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Congressmen Bobby Rush and Danny Davis visited Jesse Jackson Jr. Monday and updated reporters on their colleague's condition.
At O'Hare Airport, Congressman Davis and Rush said they wanted to make their own personal assessment of their friend's medical condition.
"He looked good," said Davis. "He had some light moments, then he had some serious moments. He smiled at some moments. Other moments were not so pleasant."
"Jesse displayed sharpness, truthfulness of his mental state," said Rush.
Jackson was released from the Mayo Clinic last month following treatment for bi polar disorder. He has been on medical leave since June.
On Saturday, he made his first public comments to his constituents via a recorded message, asking for patience. "I am anxious to return to work on your behalf but at this time it's against medical advice," he said in the call.
The phone recording came a few days after a he was spotted outside his home smoking a cigar.
Davis and Rush made call for calm and understanding.
"Once he has been helped, he will be as good as before the illness ever struck," said Davis.
Rush says Congressman Jackson left Monday afternoon to head back to the Mayo Clinic for a checkup. He also says it's not clear when Jackson may return to work.
Rush says they didn't discuss the new federal investigation Jackson is now facing.
politics, cheryl burton
- Police chase, standoff closes LSD at Fullerton
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push 34 min ago
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy 48 min ago
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...