Bobby Rush: Jesse Jackson Jr. on way back to Mayo Clinic
October 22, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Congressmen Bobby Rush and Danny Davis visited Jesse Jackson Jr. Monday and updated reporters on their colleague's condition.
At O'Hare Airport, Congressman Davis and Rush said they wanted to make their own personal assessment of their friend's medical condition.
"He looked good," said Davis. "He had some light moments, then he had some serious moments. He smiled at some moments. Other moments were not so pleasant."
"Jesse displayed sharpness, truthfulness of his mental state," said Rush.
Jackson was released from the Mayo Clinic last month following treatment for bi polar disorder. He has been on medical leave since June.
On Saturday, he made his first public comments to his constituents via a recorded message, asking for patience. "I am anxious to return to work on your behalf but at this time it's against medical advice," he said in the call.
The phone recording came a few days after a he was spotted outside his home smoking a cigar.
Davis and Rush made call for calm and understanding.
"Once he has been helped, he will be as good as before the illness ever struck," said Davis.
Rush says Congressman Jackson left Monday afternoon to head back to the Mayo Clinic for a checkup. He also says it's not clear when Jackson may return to work.
Rush says they didn't discuss the new federal investigation Jackson is now facing.
politics, cheryl burton
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 18 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 37 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand