Early voting time running out as election nears
November 1, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With only five days left until the election, voters are being alerted to make sure they are registered and know where to cast their ballot.
In addition, time is running out if you want to take advantage of early voting.
Interest remains high in the 2012 presidential election and while local election officials say the number of those voting early rivals the numbers that were compiled in 2008, they want to make sure that the voters who are still undecided and are going to the polls on Nov. 6 are indeed prepared to vote.
Long lines and at least a two-hour wait did little to deter voters at a West Side early voting site.
"Every day I've been coming down here but the lines have been so long until I can't stand in the line," said Bertha Robinson.
Local election official say Robinson is among those residents they predict will be responsible for a record voter turnout that could rival 2008.
"We've had tremendous participation by voters so far in early voting," said Chicago Board of Elections' Langdon Neal. "We see great interest in this election, we expect a heavy turnout.
With the 2012 presidential election just days away, potential voters are also being reminded to make sure they are actually eligible to cast a ballot, especially if they have moved or changed addresses.
There are only two days remaining for grace period voting.
And because new ward and precinct lines are in effect, many could be voting at new polling places.
"Send us a text from your smartphone, your tablet, 312-361-8046, and verify your polling place," Neal said.
Election officials also say that absentee voting is up, as well. They expect high turnout
Those who need more information about making sure they get in under the grace period to make sure their registration is right can go to their web site, www.chicagoelections.com
politics, evelyn holmes
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Snowboard park accident 911 calls released
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California 6 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 8 min ago
- Bridge over Western demolished for Bloomingdale Trail
- Broadened Chicago ban on plastic bags gaining steam
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All