Early voting time running out as election nears
November 1, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- With only five days left until the election, voters are being alerted to make sure they are registered and know where to cast their ballot.
In addition, time is running out if you want to take advantage of early voting.
Interest remains high in the 2012 presidential election and while local election officials say the number of those voting early rivals the numbers that were compiled in 2008, they want to make sure that the voters who are still undecided and are going to the polls on Nov. 6 are indeed prepared to vote.
Long lines and at least a two-hour wait did little to deter voters at a West Side early voting site.
"Every day I've been coming down here but the lines have been so long until I can't stand in the line," said Bertha Robinson.
Local election official say Robinson is among those residents they predict will be responsible for a record voter turnout that could rival 2008.
"We've had tremendous participation by voters so far in early voting," said Chicago Board of Elections' Langdon Neal. "We see great interest in this election, we expect a heavy turnout.
With the 2012 presidential election just days away, potential voters are also being reminded to make sure they are actually eligible to cast a ballot, especially if they have moved or changed addresses.
There are only two days remaining for grace period voting.
And because new ward and precinct lines are in effect, many could be voting at new polling places.
"Send us a text from your smartphone, your tablet, 312-361-8046, and verify your polling place," Neal said.
Election officials also say that absentee voting is up, as well. They expect high turnout
Those who need more information about making sure they get in under the grace period to make sure their registration is right can go to their web site, www.chicagoelections.com
politics, evelyn holmes
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle 56 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten, sexually assaulted 55 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions: 1 ticket worth $1 million sold in Chicago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting 5 min ago
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment 53 min ago
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd 21 min ago
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Consumer Reports: Best and Worst Value Cars
- Submit Your Holiday Lights Photos/Video to ABC7
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos
- 7 in :77
59 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
56 min ago
- Cragin on alert after girl, 15, beaten,...
55 min ago