Vote 2012: Final day for early voting draws big numbers
November 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Saturday was the last day Illinois residents could cast their votes early and people seemed to come out in very large numbers.
Hundreds of people began lining up before polling places even opened.
Election officials expected a big turnout.
"We were expecting people to come out of the woodwork (Saturday), it's the last day of early voting and people tend to procrastinate," said Cook County Clerk spokeswoman Courtney Greve.
And they got it. Over 300 people voted in less than two hours when the doors opened.
By noon, the wait at Oak Park's Village Hall was up to two hours, too much for some.
"I waited about 45 minutes and gave up," said Leo Harmon.
"We thought if we came early we might be able to get in but there is a long line right now," said Soraya Asadi.
But hundreds of others came prepared, with their books, IPads and a lot of patience.
"Tuesday I figured there would be a very large line I thought I'd get it over with today, but I thought I'm staying in line and getting this done today," Mary Stamatakos said.
For those that plan to vote on Tuesday election officials do have some advice.
"Polls are open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., you need to make sure you are voting in your precincts where you are registered to vote," Greve said.
Election officials this said year's early voting numbers will break the record set in 2008.
politics, diane pathieu
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 42 min ago
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- South Korea ferry sinks; 287 missing, at least 9 dead 48 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 5 min ago
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- Skill Champ app designed for children with autism
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Growing Problem: Stolen Smart Phones 16 min ago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos