Where do I vote? 20-percent of Chicagoans to head to new polling locations | Election Day 2012 Chicago
November 5, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Redistricting leads to changes in polling locations for some Chicago voters on Tuesday, which is Election Day 2012.
"Tomorrow is the voters' day. Finally after a year and a half of a very arduous campaign cycle, tomorrow belongs to the voters," Chicago Board of Elections Commissioner Langdon Neal said.
Election officials are visiting the poll locations on Monday in preparation for Election Day 2012. Turnout is expected to be high, but not record-breaking Tuesday. Already, 20-percent of all registered voters have cast a ballot via early voting and absentee voting options.
"Illinois may not be a swing state, but I tell you our voters are fired up," said Cook County Clerk David Orr. "If I had to guess and I had no other information, I doubt we make it to 2008, but I think we'll be in the 70-some percentile, which is significant."
Officials want to get the word out that because of redistricting, 20-percent of voters will vote in new locations. Officials are urging voters to check their precincts.
"It is going to be an issue for some of our voters who don't check their polling place before. I mean, it's understandable. You've been voting in the same place for the last 10, 15 years," Neal said.
Since the ChicagoElections.com website was overwhelmed with traffic voters can find their polling place at the state's website http://elections.il.gov/VotingInformation/RegistrationLookup.aspx. The other option is to call the elections office at 312-269-7900.
Polling places open at 6 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. Anyone in line by the closing time of 7p.m. will be allowed to vote.
politics, jessica d'onofrio
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 35 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 43 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 20 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee 52 min ago
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 54 min ago
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
20 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day celebrations continue
47 min ago
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
42 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
52 min ago