Jesse Jackson Jr. re-elected, thanks voters from Mayo Clinic
November 6, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Congressman Jesse Jackson Junior said he's humbled by his re-election.
The congressman was re-elected to the 2nd Congressional District while on medical leave. Jackson is being treated at May Clinic for bipolar disorder.
Through a spokesperson, Jackson said:
My deep and sincere thanks to the people of the 2nd Congressional District, I am humbled and moved by the support shown today. Every day, I think about your needs and concerns. Once the Doctors approve my return to work, I will continue to be the progressive fighter you have known for years. My family and I are grateful for your many heartfelt prayers and kind thoughts. I continue to feel better every day and look forward to serving you.
Jackson easily won re-election to his ninth full term on Tuesday. He first won the race in 1995.
The son of the civil rights leader was widely expected to win even though he hasn't appeared publicly in months.
The Democrat went on medical leave in June and has released few details about his treatment for bipolar disorder.
The election comes amid a House Ethics Committee investigation into links to imprisoned former Gov. Rod Blagojevich.
The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports 1 min ago
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game weather 49 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 9 min ago
- Austin fire destroys building, leaves 10 homeless
- Chicago pastor investigated for child sex abuse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- 1 dead, several injured in Racine pile-up 3 min ago
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela 3 min ago
- Shirley MacLaine on Kennedy Center Honors: 'It's about time'
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
9 min ago
- 7 in :77
12 min ago
- Snow cancels, delays flights at airports
1 min ago
- Bears fans warned about dangerous game...
49 min ago