Ald. Sandi Jackson misses Chicago City Council 2013 budget meeting
November 15, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Alderman Sandi Jackson, the wife of bipolar Congressman Jesse Jackson Jr., was in Washington, D.C. Thursday night. But the distance wasn't enough to escape critical comments from fellow Chicago City Council members.
Jackson missed Thursday's budget vote and that triggered more political pressure on her and her husband.
At Congressman Jackson's home in Washington Thursday night, there was no sign of him or his wife. There was no comment from the congressman, alderman, Rev. Jackson, or the congressman's brother, Jonathan. The media savvy Jackson family was silent.
"If somebody was grading this, they would get an F. Because everything that could have been done wrong, has been done wrong," said Delmarie Cobb, political consultant.
Cobb, who was Congressman Jackson's media director in the 1995 special election, says the way the Jacksons have handled this family crisis with constituents and the public is mind-boggling. She says this is about the Jackson name.
"It's the brand. If it's tarnished, they all have to...they all will pay for it," said Cobb.
The congressman and the alderman are reportedly under investigation for mis-using campaign funds. One allegation is they bought furniture for their Washington home. The bi-polar congressman left Minnesota's Mayo Clinic Tuesday.
On Thursday, there was more pressure for him to speak publicly.
"I do think it's essential that the Congressman, who's been out for a while, begin his conversation with his constituents about his intentions," said Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Meanwhile, Alderman Jackson was the only no-show for Thursday's vote on Chicago's 2013 budget.
"I hope the constituents say enough is enough, but at some point we all have to look at what's happening," said Alderman Robert Fioretti, 2nd Ward
"I don't know what her reasons were for not showing up so I don't want to beat upon her just yet. But I'm sure she'll have an explanation for us," said Alderman Carrie Austin, 34th Ward.
politics, stacey baca
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 6 min ago
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 4 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum 41 min ago
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 25 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Gay marriage at center of 81st District GOP race
- Larkin High School poms squad honored 42 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day 43 min ago
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Some IL concealed carry applicants notified...
35 min ago