Speculation grows about 2014 race for governor
January 20, 2013 (WASHINGTON) (WLS) -- Plenty of Illinois politicians are gathered in Washington DC for the inauguration.
There is speculation abound in the nation's capital about who will run for governor of Illinois in 2014.
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan elevated the status of her possible candidacy.
"I think there's a lot of people who are considering what they want to do in the future and if they can be of greater service to the people of the state. I am among those people," she said.
Former U.S. Commerce Secretary and White House Chief of Staff William Daley reaffirmed that he was considering a run for governor recently.
"The time for politics will come," Governor Pat Quinn said. "But not now."
Quinn, still struggling to resolve the state's pension crisis and bill backlog, said he would not be distracted by the possibility of primary challengers in 2014.
"My job is to do my job every day. And politics, when the campaigns come, I'll be there," he said.
On the Republican side, Congressman Aaron Shock discussed the possibility of running in 2014.
"I think I can make the case to my primary voters that maybe we need to be thinking about who can actually win the general election," he said. "Because at the end of the day, being the nominee isn't worth anything if you can't win the general election."
politics, charles thomas
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos